Christian Super investment options are invested in accordance with Biblical principles, consistent with our Statement of Faith. Christian Super Ethical Stable is a diversified option with lower risk due to higher proportion of fixed interest assets compared to other options. It has a growth/defensive asset split of 34/66. The underlying assets of this fund is the same as the other funds, but just differs in terms of its strategic asset allocation.
For Christian Super, being ethical means more than just integrity and honesty in how we deal with members and stakeholders. It also means developing an investment strategy that focuses on investments that support core Christian beliefs including – the authority of God, respect for human life and the importance of caring for God’s creation.
As part of our responsible investment strategy we invest in corporations that care for people and God’s creation, who demonstrate sound ethical practices and meet performance standards in their social, environmental and financial stewardship.
Additionally, we avoid investments in corporations that engage in producing goods or services that have addictive or harmful effects on people (e.g. illicit drugs, gambling, tobacco, pornography); engage in activities that are excessively harmful to the environment; or practices that are predatory or exploitative or which abuse human freedom or dignity.
Our involvement-based exclusions and their thresholds are listed below.
- > 5% revenue from alcoholic beverage production
- > 20% revenue from alcoholic beverage distribution.
- The Fund will seek to avoid investment into companies that are below the 20% distribution limit but have irresponsible sales practices.
- > 5% revenue from the production of cannabis and its related products for recreational use
- > 20% revenue from the distribution of cannabis and its related products for recreational use
Christian Super will exclude companies deriving more than 15% of their revenue from the following activities:
- Mining thermal coal
- Exploration and development of oil sands
- Liquefaction of coal
- Exploration and development of oil shale (not to be confused with shale oil or shale gas)
- Brown coal (or lignite) fired power generation
Christian Super will exclude companies deriving more than 5% of their revenue from the following activities:
- Operation or ownership of gambling establishments e.g. casinos, online gambling sites, race tracks
- Production of gambling machines e.g. slot machines, video lottery terminals
- Production of gambling software
Sanctity of Life
Christian Super affirms the belief in life from conception (i.e. when a sperm fertilises an egg to become a zygote), and will seek to exclude companies involved in the direct service of abortion or drugs intended to induce abortion. These include:
- All abortion pills (e.g. RU486) and other medications designed to induce abortion.
- All intrauterine devices (IUDs), such as copper IUDs or levonorgestrel (LNG) IUDs that are known to prevent or specifically claim to prevent implantation.
- All oral contraceptives (including emergency contraceptives) that are known to prevent or specifically claim to prevent implantation.
- Any company involved in the production or development of inappropriate adult products or adult entertainment
- > 5% of revenue from the distribution of adult entertainment and inappropriate products.
Christian Super recognises the benefits to medical science that research around stem cells poses. However, given the destruction of life involved in embryonic stem cell research, Christian Super will exclude any company involved in stem cell research that involves the destruction of human embryos.
- > 2% revenue from the production of tobacco products
- > 10% revenue from the distribution of tobacco products
Military Weapons and Firearms
- > 5% revenue from the manufacture of military weapons and small firearms (such as pistols, handguns, rifles, shotguns, and handheld automatic or semi-automatic weapons and ammunition for such weapons). This includes the production of key components that are specifically designed for and are directly linked to the lethality of these weapons.
- > 10% revenue from the distribution of small firearms (such as pistols, handguns, rifles, shotguns, and handheld automatic or semi-automatic weapons and ammunition for such weapons).
Controversial weapons are weapons which are indiscriminate in targeting and disproportionate in impact, on civilian populations; the effects of which may continue long after initial deployment. These include atomic, biological or chemical weapons, as well as anti-personnel land mines and cluster munitions.
Christian Super will apply an absolute exclusion to any company involved in the production or distribution of controversial weapons. This includes the production of key components that are specifically designed for and are directly linked to the lethality of these weapons.